The latest reports and Google CEO statements clearly indicated the arrival of Android N or 7.0 in 2016 Mid, Though It’s too early to make conclusions / predictions about names and features, but a number of Android N rumors making rounds in the media. We tried compiling the best predictions so far.
Sundar Pichai, CEO of Google, on his visit to India said the company is considering making an online poll to select the name of its next operating system.
What does N Stand for ?
During a QA session with by Sundar Pichai at the University’s Sri Ram College of Commerce Delhi, a question was asked “Why do we not have Indian deserts as Android version names?”
He replied “When I meet my Mom, I will ask for suggestions.” and added that Google could conduct an online poll to decide the name for Android N.
So there is a high probability that Google will end up naming Google N after some Indian sweet dish. We’d leave the name guessing to you for now. What would you like Android N to be known as?
Android N release Date
Sunder Pichhai Twitter remarks
I/O’16 coming to neighborhood where it all started 10 yrs ago: Shoreline Amphitheatre in Mountain View, May 18-20. More details soon
Android N Beta version may be released / announced at the Google I/O 2016, which will might be held in start of June. At this event Google might show off a number of Android N’s key features and the Developer Preview of the software.
September or October is the month when we’re most likely to see Android 7.0 land. It’ll come pre-installed on whichever new Nexus devices Google decides to launch ahead, and will slowly be released to older Nexus phones and tablets, before arriving on the various other flagships devices of other manufacturers till the end of the year.
Expected Features in News
The most anticipated features are Split Screen, Messaging App, Live Display.
- Multi-window and Split screen support
- Messaging app similar to iMessage
- Native Stylus support
- Android Stylus support and Open sourced for 3rd party and app development
- Google Now launcher API, even the 3rd party launchers can put the Google Now on the left most screen
- Force touch support
- Controls in the head notification, like a textbox for replying to texts straight from the notification.
- Dark UI mode. It can be automatically switched based in the time of day.
- API for screen off gestures
- More quick toggles options
- Dynamic icon API
- Icon badge support
- Added many other CyanogenMod features. Like:
Weather in Quick toggle Pulldown
Navbar arrow keys when typing
- Added support for native back up and sync via Google drive.
If you come across any new features or updates, please do share with us.