Though this has not started in India yet, but eBay scams and frauds are common in US. Some smart moves and you can surely avoid yourself from falling in a Trap.
I been purchasing costly items online and some times very cheap also. Some of my trusted websites are :
www.markavip.com ( I use Dubai address )
www.enuri.com ( Shipped in Korea )
I never had trust on ebay, I do not know why, one possible reason may be Sellers credibility.
What are common scams :
- Items received damage – very common scam, this is done to receive two items at the cost of one
- Delivery to some other address – some times stolen CC may be used
- If some one wants to deal outside of eBay – To avoid fees of eBay, but in most of cases its a fraud
- If payment mode is only DD or Cash , before supply – Supplier will encash and may not supply
- Counterfeit Items – This is another scam. In most of cases in small words it will be mentioned, but you may not read it.
- Proxy Bidding – To increase the Item price
- Very cheap items and weird remarks – Seller leaving the country, Unwanted Gift bla bla
But after speaking to lot of persons and my friends in US, developed some guidelines for eBay purchases, which I would like to share with you.
- Try Direct contact with Buyer to see if it’s genuine or no
- Always make payments through Reliable sources like paypal or CC where online payments are insured
- Buy only from sellers with at least a feedback score of 100** and 99% positive rating, Reading reviews about a buyer and seller is always useful
- Don’t accept offers where the seller agrees to sell you the item directly and not through eBay
- Some sellers are eBay certified
- Always read eBay policies very clearly
- eBay being a market place, always buy or sell from Trusted buyers or sellers
- Always check if the address of the buyer or seller is confirmed on eBay
- Always purchase Items with ” EBAY GUARANTEE “
Before Bidding or Buying
- Evaluate the complete listing like Shipping / return / refund policy
- Understand the Item fully like authenticity whether original or fake, origin, used or new
- Inquire about seller like address / service / contact details. If you can not reach buyer, DO NOT PURCHASE
- Feedback about seller, This is very important
Before sending payment
- Exercise caution with international transactions, as well as high-priced and popular items
- For high-priced items, Always use PaisaPay (credit / debit card or online bank transfer). Your money is automatically returned to you if the seller doesn’t ship within timelines or you can request a refund if the item is not delivered within timelines
- Never ever pay with cash or with instant money transfer services, such as Western Union
- Keep records of all Transactions
** Star Rating on Ebay
Yellow star () = 10 to 49 ratings
Blue star () = 50 to 99 ratings
Turquoise star () = 100 to 499 ratings
Purple star () = 500 to 999 ratings
Red star () = 1,000 to 4,999 ratings
Green star () = 5,000 to 9,999 ratings
Yellow shooting star () = 10,000 to 24,999 ratings
Turquoise shooting star () = 25,000 to 49,999 ratings
Purple shooting star () = 50,000 to 99,999 ratings
Red shooting star () = 100,000 ratings or more
Green shooting star () = 500,000 to 999,999 ratings
Silver shooting star () = 1,000,000 ratings or more
Tip: In most cases, a high Feedback Score is a good sign, but you should always check a member’s Feedback Profile to read comments and look for negative remarks.
Recently, I came across one story on BGR regarding eBay and a seller where in eBay denied to support seller giving some vague excuse. Share your views if you have been ever tricked like this.