What is Coolpad Note 3 – 5.5″ HD Display , 3 GB RAM, Fingerprint Scanner , 13 MP Camera – Looks like I am talking of a Mid Premium Segment Smartphone, Well Well, It’s not so, Note 3 is available for Rs 8,999
What All comes in Retail Box
- Coolpad Note 3
- Micro USB Charging Cable / Travel adapter
- User Guide
- Warranty Support
Though Coolpad does not stand out as compared to High End Premium smartphones, but in the range of Sub Rs 10000, The Smartphones looks pretty nice and specially white color gives it an amazing look.
Overall build is based on plastic and the phone comes with a heavy battery which makes the phone slightly thick at 9.3mm. Note 3 got curved edges at the back and a soft matte finish which is supposed to prevent stains.
The back cover is removable and made from poly-carbonate, but the battery is sealed. Under the back cover you will find a micro-sim+microSD card and a secondary micro-sim card slot. The fingerprint sensor is also at the back just below the camera lens and flash placed in the center of Back cover. The speaker grill is towards the bottom on the back side.
There is a power button on one side and volume controls on the other. Both work well but we volume rocker placement is not comfortable for right hand operation.
The 3.5mm headset jack and micro-USB port are placed at the top and bottom edges.
Note 3 is equipped with a 5.5″ HD Display with a pixel density of 267 ppi. It got an impressive screen to body ratio of 71.7 %, which makes it more comfortable to use with single hand.
The biggest issue is ” No protection for screen ” but Note 3 got NEG layer that prevents it from scratches. The screen is reflective and you may find it slightly difficult to view the content in full sunlight , the other option is to turn the brightness to highest level.
Hardware & Performance
Note 3 is powered by Octa-core 1.3 GHz Cortex-A53 Mediatek MT6753 processor coupled with Mali T720.
On Performance front, Note 3 is equipped with 3GB RAM with 16GB in-built memory which is expandable up-to 64GB. For Security, Note 3 is equipped with Fingerprint scanner.
- Finger Print Scanner: Coolpad mentioned at launch that the phone supports 360 degrees usage of FP scanner and during usage, we found that scanning is very fast, smooth and accurate .
Programming the finger print is fast and you can touch your finger that is programmed in any direction on the scanner and it just activates. You can unlock the phone even when its locked and screen is off making it very easy for usage. Coolpad Note 3 is the only smartphone in this price range to have finger scanning feature.
- Gaming : Having tried hands on lot of games which included games like Nova 3, Mortal Kombat, Leo’s Fortune, Temple Run 2, Asphalt 8 and likes. Graphics went smooth but there were frame drops here and there which we expected at the start given the processor which scored upwards of 30,000 all the time we test.
This is again the 3 GB RAM coming to good use. But, what we felt was the heating up issue in continuous gaming. Even with 20-30 minutes of light gaming the temperatures went close to 50° c which is far above than the average heating up. The chrome part of the phone and the entire back portion become very hot and you cannot hold the device.
- Audio and Multimedia : The speaker is to be found on the back of the phone and this is one of the below average performances we have seen. It is more like its there for the sake of it and do not have any high expectations. If you keep the phone on the table the voice is muffled. Even with a good pair of earphones the sound was just OK and never too great.
- Radio and Wi-Fi: This is one of the weakest areas of the Coolpad Note 3. Calls have echo issues and the signal reception is not upto the mark. Even when there were 3 bars on the signal, we had to try many times to get the call connected.
- Call Connectivity and Sound : The sound output through the phone’s speaker was impressively loud and clear. Call quality was very good and the phone works well even in weak signal areas. Note 3 catches signal even weak Wi-Fi signals.
Coolpad Note 3 runs on Cool UI on top of Android Lollipop 5.1 , which offers lot of features. It features unified app launcher-homescreen navigation and a highly customised interface that supports themes. It comes with customized system apps and some third party apps are also pre-loaded.
- No app drawer and all the icons are laid out in many pages that you can scroll
- Icons are quite bright and the display is good.
- There are lots of pre-loaded apps and mostly related to Indian market , but occupies lot of screen space.
- The notifications and options menu is feature rich with options :
- Multi window
- Long Standby
- Data aactivation option for each SIM
- Colorful settings menu
- Gesture Control : M for music, C for phone keypad, O for Facebook and W for WhatsApp and many of these can be customized for your needs. The best part of the gestures is the fact that they work on the locked screen as well.
- Colorful Themes – The CoolShow app in the phone packs some 8 beautiful themes by default that you can use without any difficulty. Gives an entirely refreshing new look to the device.
The is the real place where you will see 3GB RAM working efficiently. Overall the performance of the UI and OS was very satisfactory and even from medium to heavy usage , RAM usage never hit its full which means there is good handling of the jobs.
Coolpad Note 3 has a 13MP rear camera with 5 piece lens Technology, f/2.0 aperture and 1.4 micron pixel size. The camera is supported by an LED flash and supports full-HD 1080p video recording.
But in low light conditions there are lots of grains but surprisingly exposure was well handled. The camera app is very basic and not much difference in AUTO and HDR mode. Panorama option is also available and works well.
For Coolpad Note 3, We will recommend you to use 3rd Party App, Like Manual Camera or FX Camera.
No Shutter lag was observed in either Front or Rear Camera. But, for selfies, pics came out to be real good.
This is the area Coolpad Note 3 excels other Smartphones. With an average usage , you can run the smartphone for as much as two days. For heavy users and gamers there will be no issues to take it for full day. We got a screen-on time of minimum 5 hours which is very impressive.
Charging time is also not very high, hardly 210 minutes for 100 % charge. From 30 % to 100 %, it takes around 90 minutes.
The only issue which you may face is , Non-removable battery.
In favor : Finger Print Scanner, 3GB RAM, Battery Life, USB OTG Support, Smooth Performance
Need improvement : Overheating in gaming, Reflective Screen, No LED on capacitive Touch Screen
Priced at Rs 8,999, Coolpad Note 3 offers great features like 3GB RAM and Fingerprint scanner. Except slight overheating issue and some times in wi-fi, apart from this the phone worked very well.
If you are not a very heavy gamer, and restricted by budget, Than this is the right smartphone for you, as against Lenovo or Xiaomi or Intex.
In other words, you can also say, Coolpad has set New Technical standards for Smartphones below Rs 10,000