If you’re going where the Internet is slow, mobile data is expensive, or you can’t get online, you can save an area from Google Maps to your phone or tablet and use it when you’re offline.
Note: Downloading offline areas isn’t available in some regions because of contractual limitations, language support, address formats, or other reasons.
Download an area to use offline
To download an area to use offline, follow the steps below.
- On your phone or tablet, open the Google Maps app .
- Make sure you’re connected to the Internet and signed in to Google Maps.
- Search for a place, like
- At the bottom, tap the bar that has the name of the place you searched. If you search for a place like a restaurant, tap More .
- Select Download .
Tip: The biggest size for an offline area is 120,000 square kilometers. If you try to save a bigger area, you’ll be asked to zoom in to a smaller area.
If your Internet connection is slow or absent, you’ll see a lightning bolt and Google Maps will use your offline areas to give you directions.
Note: You can get driving directions offline, but not transit, bicycling, or walking directions. In your driving directions, you won’t have traffic info, alternate routes, or lane guidance. You also can’t modify routes like avoiding tolls or ferries.
How to get Directions and Show Routes
- Open the Google Maps app .
- Search for your destination or tap it on the map.
- In the bottom right, tap the blue circle. It’ll show a car, bus, bike, taxi, or person walking.
- Choose one of the following:
- To see the list of driving, walking, or biking directions, tap the white bar at the bottom. It’s the one that shows the travel time and distance.
- For transit directions, choose a route, then tap the white bar.
- Not all cities have public transit directions in Google Maps. Before you can get transit directions, your local transit agency needs to add their route info to Google Maps.
Tip: To choose another route, tap it on the map. Each route shows the estimated travel time on the map.
Google Offline Maps comes with a limitation, Your Maps will be downloaded only for 30 days.