Motorola name will be a history in 2016. After some time, you will find Motorola only in Google. Your Next Motorola Phone may not get Motorola, rather you will see ” Moto by Lenovo”.
Motorola was bough Google in 2012, later Google sold Motorola to Lenovo in 2014. At CES 2016, Lenovo declared it will unify both the Brands, Lenovo and Motorola under one Brand, that’s Lenovo.
Motorola Chief Operating Officer Rick Osterloh stated
We will slowly phase out Motorola and Focus on Moto. Though ” Moto ” will continue, but Motorola will not be there.
Brief history of Motorola Journey :
- Founded on September 25, 1928
- HQ at 1303 East Algonquin Road, Schaumburg, Illinois, United States
- Started as Galvin Manufacturing Corporation by Paul V. and Joseph E. Galvin
- How Motorola name evolved – Motor + Ola
- October 1946, Motorola carried out first call on Illinois Bell telephone company’s new car radiotelephone service.
- 1973, Motorola first demonstrated first handheld Device
- September 1983, First ever time a commercial Mobile Device ” Dynatec” revealed.
- 1991, Motorola demonstrated first cellular device on GSM Technology
- May 20, 2012 Google take over Motorola.
- October 30, 2014 Motorola sold to Lenovo
Lenovo is concentrating on Unifying Corporate Brand identity, and this is an effort in the same direction. Lately, Moto X will be the first Device to get Lenovo Branding, But only with M on the back.
What Industry experts have to say on this move :
“Lenovo does not have a bad brand but Motorola stands for a lot, especially in mobile,” said Carolina Milanesi, an analyst for Kantar WorldPanel. “It would be a shame to move away from that.“
This move clearly shows, Lenovo will have two lineups, One is Vibe and other one will be Moto series. As far as, We understand, Moto will contribute towards the High end Premium Smartphones. Lenovo today is basically surviving because of it’s indepth presence in IT sector, specially Laptops and in Mobiles, thanks to K3 and K4 Note.
Please do share your thoughts, whether it’s a sensible move, or it will kill the historical Moto Brand.