Qualcomm finally revealed Snapdragon 820 specs and release date with Adreno 530 GPU. Expected release is Mid 2016.
Adreno 530 in the Snapdragon 820 is specially designed to deliver up to 40% improvement to graphics performance and compute capabilities as compared to the previous-generation Adreno 430 and also designed in a way to consume 40 % less power, that means 40 % more battery backup as compared to old Adreno series.
As a matter of fact, Both GPU’s 530 and 510 can work with Snapdragon 820. Additionally, 530 and 510 will also be coupled with Snapdragon 620 / 618.
Another key strength is the Spectra Camera ISP, The Dual ISP is designed to provide superior camera image quality and experience and supports the latest 14-bit sensors for a wider range of colors, superior DSLR-quality photography, enhanced computer vision and more natural skin tones.
Tim Leland, vice president, product management, Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. stated “We’re significantly enhancing the visual processing capabilities of Snapdragon to support next-generation user experiences related to computational photography, computer vision, virtual reality and photo-realistic graphics on mobile devices, all while maximizing battery life,”
To Summarize, key benefits of Adreno 530
- Up to 40 percent lower power consumption and 40 percent faster performance for both graphics and GPGPU compute when compared to the Adreno 430;
- Leading-edge capabilities in graphics and compute APIs including OpenGL ES 3.1+AEP (Android Extension Pack), Renderscript, as well as the new OpenCL 2.0 and Vulkan standards. Vulkan minimizes driver overhead and enables multi-threaded performance on mobile and embedded platforms;
- Support for 64-bit virtual addressing, allowing for shared virtual memory (SVM) and efficient co-processing with 64 bit CPUs;
- Improved fine-grain power management, new rendering, compositing and compression techniques to enable higher performance at lower power consumption and reduced DRAM bandwidth;
- Up to 4K HEVC video support at 60fps over HDMI 2.0 to Rec. 2020 ultra-high definition (UHD) displays and TVs;
- Improved Qualcomm® EcoPix™ and Qualcomm® TruPalette™ support for longer battery life and superior pixel quality; and
- Software compatibility between Adreno 530 and Adreno 510.
Qualcomm Spectra Dual ISP Camera
- Superior image quality, with more natural skin tones via advanced, 14-bit dual ISPs supporting up to 3 simultaneous cameras (e.g. one facing the user, and two rear facing), and up to 25 megapixels at 30 frames per-second with zero shutter lag;
- Improved photos with Qualcomm Spectra ISP’s flexible hybrid autofocus framework and multi-sensor fusion algorithms supporting next generation computational photography;
- Improved power efficiency when compared to previous generations, better noise immunity and higher throughput via advanced compression techniques and use of the latest MIPI serial C-PHY interface; and
- Next generation Computer Vision and other use cases via direct-to-DSP raw bayer data streaming and pre-processing capabilities.