Six Flags Entertainment Corporation , and Samsung Electronics America, Inc., announced a broad marketing partnership which appoints Samsung as the “Official Technology Partner” of the world’s largest regional theme park company. The partnership includes the debut of ground-breaking experiences coming to nine Six Flags parks—North America’s first Virtual Reality (VR) Roller Coasters, using Samsung Gear VR powered by Oculus.
Some of Six Flags’ most popular coasters will be equipped to allow riders wearing Samsung Gear VR headsets to feel the heart-pumping adrenaline of steep drops, inverted loops and powerful twists and turns as gyros, accelerometers and proximity sensors synchronize all of the action in an incredibly realistic 360-degree virtual reality world.
John Duffey, Six Flags President and CEO stated ” This remarkable technology is a definite game-changer for theme park rides and represents everything our brand stands for—delivering the most thrilling and innovative rides and attractions in the world.”
How A Virtual Reality Roller Coaster will work :
- Riders are the co-pilots in their own fighter jets as they strap in for air-to-air combat. Taking in the view around them, riders will see other aircraft in an underground secret bunker.
- Taking in the view around them, riders will see other aircraft in an underground secret bunker.
- As the aircraft moves to a landing pad, it begins to launch its thruster engines, lifting the craft straight up through the roof.
- During the ascent, riders can test fire their weapons using the world’s first-ever interactive gameplay technology on a roller coaster.
- As riders clear the roof, they realize they are on top of a skyscraper and about to launch off the edge of the building diving straight down on the first drop of the ride
- The aircraft races through the city until reaching the edge of the skyline where riders see the mother ship hovering above.
- The mother ship is heavily protected by drones and the mission is to get past the drones, fire on the mother ship and destroy it.
This elite fighter squadron experience will make its debut on the following six roller coasters:
- Shock Wave at Six Flags Over Texas in Arlington, opening March 10 to Season Pass Holders as a special sneak preview;
- Dare Devil Dive at Six Flags Over Georgia outside of Atlanta, opening March 12 to Season Pass Holders as a special sneak preview;
- The New Revolution at Six Flags Magic Mountain near Los Angeles, opening March 26 to Season Pass Holders as a special sneak preview;
- Ninja at Six Flags St. Louis in Eureka;
- Steamin’ Demon at The Great Escape in Lake George, New York and
- Goliath at La Ronde in Montreal.
This amazing adventure will debut on these Superman-branded coasters:
- SUPERMAN Krypton Coaster at Six Flags Fiesta Texas in San Antonio;
- SUPERMAN The Ride at Six Flags New England in Agawam, Massachusetts; and
- SUPERMAN Ride of Steel at Six Flags America in Upper Marlboro, Maryland.